Sometimes pizza is just needed. There’s something about its savoury, chewy, crunchy deliciousness that makes it extra satisfying. But what if your gut can’t handle normal pizza? What if you’re coeliac/ gluten-sensitive/ on a paleo or ketogenic diet, where does that leave you?
I have a solution for you. This grain-free pizza is suitable for those with gut issues or sensitivities to grains. It’s also high fat, medium protein and low in carbohydrates so if you’re on a ketogenic diet then this is a good choice as a treat – it only has 2.4g net carbs per serving.
You could use a shop-bought tomato sauce to go on the base, or if you want it to be fresher and more nutritious I recommend trying my marinara sauce recipe. Click here for the recipe.
Ideas for toppings
I added the following – marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, caramelised onions, chilli flakes, basil, black olives and garlic oil on serving.
Here are some other ideas:
- Crack an egg over the pizza before baking
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Goats cheese
- Vegan cheese if you’re dairy-free
- 1.5 cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon good quality rock or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oven to 180C
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl then add the rest of the ingredients
- Mix well with your hands or a spoon until a dough is formed
- Get a sheet of baking parchment and spread it out flat, sprinkle with a little bit of olive oil on top to prevent dough from sticking
- Form the dough into a ball and place in the middle of the baking sheet
- Place another sheet over the top and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough until it's thin and somewhat circular (the thinner you make it the crispier it will be). Pinch in the edges to create a crust
- Remove the top layer of parchment and add the base to the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and the edges are crisping up.
- Remove from the oven, add desired toppings and place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until cooked.