A healthy hot chocolate?! Surely not…
I’ve been making this a lot recently and it’s soothing, delicious and packed full of health boosting ingredients. It’s a much better option than a sugary chocolate bar if you’re feeling grumpy and in need of some chocco derived comfort.
The cacao contains a hole host of nutrients and antioxidants (most notably a good dose of magnesium – something we really need when stressed out/working hard/tired/not sleeping well etc). The coconut oil and cinnamon help to support good blood sugar balance, whilst the salt contains minerals and is particularly nourishing if you are experiencing any kind of adrenal fatigue (contrary to popular belief – salt is not the enemy – processed table salt which is found in most convenience foods is indeed nasty stuff, whereas natural rock or sea salt is packed full of minerals and is a healthy addition to your diet in the small amounts needed to give food flavour).
My recommendation is that you enjoy this whilst wearing some fluffy socks and reading a good book (a Nutritionist’s prescription 🙂 ).
- 350ml milk of choice (I use almond or cashew)
- 1tbsp cacao/ cocoa powder (I use Green and Blacks)
- 5 drops vanilla essence
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Pinch sea/ rock salt
- Sweetener (to taste) - honey/ maple syrup/ yacon syrup/ date syrup/ stevia
- Add milk to a saucepan, along with the cacao/cocoa powder, vanilla essence, cinnamon and salt. Heat slowly on a low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to mix everything together.
- Once the mixture is hot (just before boiling), turn it off the heat and add the coconut oil and sweetener, stirring well.
- (Optional) If you have a milk frother you can froth the liquid in the pan, or add to a nutribullet and blend until it becomes nice and foamy.
- Pour into a mug and serve.